CROSS CONNECTION & BACKFLOW PREVENTION
Padre Dam is committed to insuring a safe, high quality, reliable drinking water system. An important part of Padre Dam's water quality program is its backflow prevention program.
Backflow is the reverse flow of water and other liquids or substances into distribution pipes in the potable water supply. A cross-connection is any actual or potential physical connection between a public water system, and any source of non-potable liquid, solid or gas that could contaminate the potable water supply by backflow.
Backflow prevention devices or backflow preventers are installed to prevent backflow of contaminants into drinking water through cross-connections.
Installation of Approved Backflow Prevention Devices
The California Department of Public Health and Padre Dam Rules and Regulations require the installation of an approved backflow prevention device under the following but not limited to conditions:
- Any commercial, industrial and institutional property
- Anywhere there is an auxiliary water supply such as a well
- Anywhere that toxic concentrations of dangerous materials such as insecticides, weed killers,
etc., are handled under pressure
- Anywhere that fertilizer, livestock medications or vaccines, etc., are introduced into the water
- Anywhere animals are cared for
- Anywhere irrigation (other than domestic) or gray water systems are employed
- Anywhere a pump is utilized
- Anywhere medical facilities exist
- Anywhere a sewage treatment plant is operated
Backflow devices shall be installed and repaired at the option of Padre Dam, by the customer or Padre Dam's Cross Connection Specialist. All costs for installation, testing and maintenance are the responsibility of the customer. The California Department of Health Services requires backflow devices to be tested annually. Testing must be completed by an approved tester.
- Backflow Test Form (PDF)
- Padre Dam Approved Backflow Tester List (PDF)
- Short list of approved devices (PDF)
- Water Agencies Standards standard device drawing (PDF)
For questions about Padre Dam's Cross Connection and Backflow Prevention, contact Mat Jones at 619-258-4731.